The church of Agios Titus in Heraklion city is one of the most important monuments in the city center.
The Agios Titus church was the largest and most imposing church in the city during the second Byzantine period and was the Cathedral of the Diocese of Crete.
During the Venetian rule the Latin Archbishop lived in the church. In the Ottoman period was converted into a mosque,
with the bell tower converted into a minaret.
The church in its original form has been a three-aisled basilica (opened in 1446). The earthquake of 1856 destroyed the church and its recostruction lasted from 1869 up to 1925.
Among the relics is the skull of Agios Titus. Its disposing was from San Marco in Venice.
Source: "Religious Routes of Crete" - Greek Region of Crete