From the other side, facing east, outside the town of Lefkada, you can meet the salt pits of the town. Salt pits have stopped operating in 1947 and together with salt pits Alexandros, near the bay and the port Drepani, are a very important part of the land’s history which should be definitely preserved.
The first salt pit had been constructed by the Franks of Tokkous, in the early part of the 15th century with an expanse of 500 sq.m. They were composed by 26 alopigia or pans.
During the Venetian domination, the salt pits had been supplying with salt, the market of Venetia and from there, every market of North Italy and Central Europe.
The second salt pit had been constructed by Venetians of Morozini, in 1684, in an expanse of 50 sq.m with 34 pans.
The salt pits of Lefkada supplied a great quantity and quality of salt. Protected from the wave, they were open spaces with dazzling sunlight and dry summer.
The sea water was quickly evaporated, leaving the salt to the bottom of the pan, preserved for a few days and then carried to the shoulders and heads of the workers, to the huge central pile for elaboration and collection at the end of August.
The work was very hard and dangerous for women workers, carrying barefoot 25 to 30 kilos.