To the west of the town of Lefkada, there is an oil grove with perennial olive trees.
When the Turkish arrived for the first time to the island, there were already about 8500 olive trees to the field of Lefkada and to the villages of Apolpena, Fryni and Agios Nikitas.
The Venetians, who returned in 1684, appointed the cultivation of olive trees, as compulsory. In this way they tried to; balance the inhabitant’s loss caused from the damage of shipping business, and trade by transferring the town away from the Castle imposing heavy taxation.
By replacing the grain, which until then was seeded to the field of olive trees, were keeping inhabitants in a deficient position in order to control them, being the suppliers of grain.