As one enters the village of Kefalos, one can see the remains of the local Castle. The castle was built of small stones and inside it contained many water reservoirs.The Kefalos castle is dated back to the Byzantine era. The oldest reference to the castle is dated to 1271. In 1457 tha castle was used in a successful attempt to defend the island from a Turkish invasion. In 1493 and after a destructive earthquake, the castle was almost totally destroyed. As a result, by 1505 the castle had been abandoned.Today from the deserted ruins, the visitor can enjoy great panoramic views of the bay of Kefalos.