The church is in the central district of Niochori. The complex includes the monastery of the Franciscans of the Custody of the Holy Land who do pastoral work on the island. The monastery also has a guesthouse. The volunteers there come from different countries offer their assistance to those in need.During the Ottoman siege in 1522 A.D., the church – located within the walls of the Medieval Town– was destroyed and the Franciscans left the island along with the Knights of St. John.In 1719 the Apostolic Prefecture of the Franciscans of Constantinople re-established its mission in Rhodes and in 1743 a new church was built “Panagia tis Nikis”, mostly known as Sancta Maria. The new church was enlarged in 1851 and soon became the main Catholic church in Rhodes.Holy Mass is celebrated every day in various languages and the community often gathers there, particularly in St. Claire’s Hall, which was recently renovated by the parish priest with the help of friends and volunteers. On the left side of the church, you can visit St. Francis Nativity at Christmas time. Local people and tourists from all over the island come to admire it.