The Archaeological Museum of Rodos is housed in the medieval building which served as the Hospital of the Knights of St. John. The structure was begun in 1440 by Grand Master de Lastic with money bequeathed by his predecessor, Fluvian, and was completed in 1489 by Grand Master d’Aubusson. The museum is a two-storey building, with a central courtyard, all four sides of which are lined with porticoes Interesting finds dating from all periods of the island’s history, discovered during archaeological excavations, are exhibited in the Garden and in the twenty rooms of the upper floor. In the garden the visitor can see sculptures and funerary steles of the Hellenistic period and the mosaic floors of the Hellenistic period from Rodos town and in the atrium the mosaic floor of the early Christian period from Karpathos. Various statues and fragments of funerary monuments are also on exhibit in the Museum atrium.
The Museum houses the following collections:
Tomb groups from ancient Ialysos of the Geometric and Classical periods: vases, figurines, jewellery, metal objects.
Tomb groups from ancient Kamiros of the Geometric and Classical periods: vases, small objects, figurines.
A collection of Classical, Hellenistic and Roman sculpture.
Funerary slabs from the period of the Knights with relief representations of the deceased or of their coats of arms.
Operation Hours: Tuesday - Sunday 08.00 - 14.40
Adults: 6 euro
Reduced ticket: 4 euro (for persons above 65 years old citizens of the European Union)
Free entrance for children under 18 years old and students