The Austrian Archaeological Institute made excavations in Aigeira in 1916. The team with Otto Walter found the head of the statue of Zeus, which according to Pausanias was a work by the Athenian sculptor Euclid. Walter also found the left arm, the finger at the right hand later.
From 1972, excavations led by Wilhelm Alzinger excavated the Mycenaean acropolis, the ancient theatre and several naiskoi next to the theatre (naiskos (small temple)). The floor of one of them is decorated with a pebble mosaic representing an eagle with a serpent. Also, the Tycheio (sanctuary of Tyche) described by Pausanias was uncovered next to the theatre. Further to the north, foundations of two small temples were explored by Anton Bammer. On the terrace north of the acropolis, a presumably public building with banqueting rooms and bathing facilities was located and excavated by Georg Ladstätter.