The monastery of Panaghia Koryfis or Korfiotissa (which means Our Lady of the Hilltop) is built on the hill of Koutsa, overlooking the village of Kamari. Today, there stands a church dedicated to Virgin Mary, which was built in 1767, over the ruins of an ancient construction.
The monastery significantly contributed to the struggle of the Greek people during the Greek War of Independence by providing money (8.104 turkish kuruş) to General Ioannis Notaras and the village's senior committee for the soldiers' needs.
The harsh living conditions for the monks in Korfiotissa (remote location, water scarcity), made them decide to move to a lower point, on the side of the hill. After they did so, the Holy Icon of Virgin Mary had gone. It was considered as a sign from above, that finally led them to the current location of the church. More specifically, a deaf-mute woman had a vision of Virgin Mary indicating to her that the Holy Icon could be found on the top of the hill. Divine favor bestowed the gifts of speech and hearing to the woman, who revealed the vision she had seen to her fellow villagers.
The icon of Panaghia Korfiotissa, attributed as miraculous, is placed on a icon stand, carved in wood by xylographer Ioannis Vassiliou.
The walls of the church were icon painted in early 20th century by abbot Zapheiris.
Korfiotissa has become a nunnery since 1935 while in 1980 it was officially recognized as a Holy Convent.
Today, the nuns who continue the work of their predecessors, have turned the monastery into an idyllic retreat for pilgrims who seek calmness and serenity.
The annual celebrations of Panaghia Korfiotissa take place on Bright Friday, a week after Easter and on August 15th (day of the Assumption of Mary).
The monastery offers a unique view as it is built at an altitude of 731 meters / 2398 ft. On a clear day, one can see as far as Akrata on the west, Loutraki on the east and Mount Parnassus on the north.
The monastery is 8 km / 5 mi away from Kamaria and it is accessible by car.