On the southern part, on a steep narrow cobbled street, lies the church of Agios Charalambos. According to historic testimonies, the church was established in 1832, in the place of a church that had been demolished and was initially dedicated to the Presentation of the Virgin Mary. Today the church celebrates the memory of Agios Charalambos, because on his nameday (10 February) a plague that had taken over the town was wiped out. Exquisite masonry, with carved stone, a prime example of the artistic quality of the Pyrsogianni builders, forms an impressive visual whole. Inside the building, the wood-sculpted icon-stand had been gold-plated prior to the church being established (this is stated in a note above the entrance of the Holy Gate (Ωραία Πύλη), a fact that points to it belonging to a previous church. A structure of similar architectural perfection is the bell-tower, a 1887 work which was also created by craftsmen from Pyrsogianni. The Epirote stone-craftsmen, builders of the church, have left their traces on various parts of the external masonry, in the form of various carvings on various spots—elements that are worthy of the visitor’s attention.
In the past the church had extensive landed property, and the commission fund had so much wealth, to the extent that it used to function as a quasi- credit institution for the city’s community.