In one of the least known and purest places of Crete, where the travellers are few and select, there is a tavern that still preserves its age-old secret of traditional Cretan cuisine… Welcome to Gramboussa.
- Baked lamb wrapped in filo crust (flaky pastry), marinated with honey.
- Homegrown chicken, baked in the wood oven with sage and white wine.
- Rabbit wrapped in lemon leaves.
- Pork shank, baked in vines.
- Feta cheese baked in the wood oven, greased with Staka butter (clarified butter; fat from goat or sheep milk), wrapped in flaky pastry with peeled tomato, pepper, garlic, oregano, and sea salt.
We are opened from Friday to Sunday and Bank holidays.
Gramboussa could not be renowned for its cuisine, were it not for its successful combination of the two most basic “ingredients” required for exquisitely tasty, yet simultaneously healthy cuisine: the purest ingredients of the Cretan earth, and the traditional recipes, which date back to the 18th century. At Gramboussa, you and your loved ones will certainly enjoy a rare savoury experience, one that can be offered only by truly traditional Cretan cooking.
Here only the purest of products are used: fresh vegetables, virgin Cretan olive oil, thyme honey, authentic traditional herbs, like oregano and sage, and, of course, the most select meats of Cretan cuisine: lamb, rabbit, pork, chicken, and veal.
As for our recipes, the oldest date back to the beginning of the 18th century. It is, thus, of great significance for us to preserve these traditional dishes. There are outstanding recipes, which have lasted for centuries, but are in danger of vanishing due to the hasty, “fast” food, which is so typical of our time. This is not so at Gramboussa. At our establishment, you will find only the best traditional recipes, prepared for you to enjoy with all your senses, which is the right way to enjoy a meal.