The Valide Sultana Mosque is located in the Old Town of Rethymnon, between the Tompazi Street and Guora Gate.
The mosque was founded by the Valide Sultan Turhan Chantitze, which belonged to the harem of Sultan Ibrahim (1640-1648) and became queen mother with the rise of her son Mehmet IV on the throne.
The minaret is built of ashlar stones, has a cylindrical balcony and its coverage is pyramidal.
Above the entrance of the mosque there is an inscription dated in July 5, 1816, which related to its reconstruction by Hilmi Ibrahim Pasha. Below the balcony of the minaret there is an Arabic inscription with the wish "Do not put the evil eye!" (Maşallah!).
Today, the building belongs to the Archaeological Service and is used as a warehouse storage of archaeological finds.