The Parish Committee of Agia Ekaterini ceded part of its land, on the north side of the church, for the construction of the first elementary school of the town.
Based on relevant correspondence of the Plenipotentiaries of Sitia with the Episcopacy and the Elders of Lasithi, the year 1871 should be considered as the probable year of the foundation of the Hellenic School of Sitia, while an identical school was already operating at Piskokefalo.
In photographs from the 1910 decade, the building of the Elementary School is depicted on the north side of the church.
This school building, constructed in great haste in order to meet the urgent problem of housing the students of the new Sitia, quickly reverted to an unacceptable condition, and was characterized as an 'old slum' by inspector N. Piblis in the speech he delivered at the inauguration of the new 'resplendent, admirable and most imposing edifice "of the Elementary School of Sitia, on October 15, 1933, which was erected in the place of the demolished old building and which is today the 1st Elementary School of the town, and has indeed been classified as an Historical Listed Monument.
Translated and edited by: Yallou