It was founded by the
Blessed Philotheus, in the end of the 10th century.
In 1539-1540 the monastery
was renovated with funds from the Georgian kings, Levan of Kakheti and his son
Alexander II of Kakheti, frescos of whom are depicted in the refectory.
The library holds 250
manuscripts, and 2500 printed books (of which 500 are in Russian and Romanian).