During the Prehistoric Times, Rafina had already inhabited. The oldest finds are about the Neolithic Period, also, extremely was the remains of the Bronze Age (3,000 years B.C.), which was founded by the excavations of Dimitrios Theocharis in '50s: a settlement on the hill above the port, with facilities of bronze's processing near the delta of the Great Stream, and a Protohelladic Akropolis in the cape of Askitario which you can visit today.
AntiquityFoundation by Triglian refugees
During the ancient times, Rafina, was one of the 100 demes of Athens which was defined by Kleisthenes. The municipality called Arafin, by the name of its first ruler, Arafinas, who was one of the 100 heroes of Attica. In municipality of Arafin, lived one of the ten breeds of Attica. Also, the area near the sea till Artemida, called "Arafinides Ales and here arrived Orestis and Ifigenia from Tavrida.
From these times, we didn't find any evidence, but excavations discovered Roman Baths and perhaps a Byzantine Church.
After the defeat of the Greek army in the Minor Asia (1922), many refugees arrived in Greece. Some of them arrived by ships owned by Filippos Kabounides, a Triglian shipowner, who arrived at the time of the destruction to save people and heirlooms.
A year later (August 29, 1923), Kabounides' ships brought to Rafina refugees who have lived in Tenedos for one year. After a few months, the first houses of the new refugee settlement were built and were located at the Skouze's estate that was given to the refugees. Also, around the area of the square, small shops were built and given to shop owners.
Six years later (1929), Rafina became a community.
During the 1950s, Pantovasilissa's church was built in remembrance of the Byzantine church in Triglia which held the same name. At its forecourt was erected a statue of the metropolite of Smyrni, Chrysostomos, who had been killed by the Turks in Triglia during the destruction. Many years later, people in Rafina built a little church to his memory.
When Triglians arrived from Asia Minor, they brought many things from their old country, the most important being Panagia Episkepsis, a hagiography created during the 14th century A.D., which one can now see in the Byzantine Museum in Athens. A copy can be found in the city hall of Rafina.
Many heirlooms can be found in the Refugee Museum "Triglia's House", where visitors can see many originals or their copies.
World War II
During the Second World War, and during the German Occupation, German and Italian armies were installed in Rafina. Important projects for the guarding and the vallation of the area were built at the port, along the seaside and on the hill that was since named "Fort".